Adventure in Chicagoland!

Day 1 – Friday, August 14, 2015

The air around me sizzled with excitement as I climbed into the parking lot transport shuttle to the Richmond International Airport. With a kathunk, I laid my bags down on the shaking bus' floor, and trembled in anticipation, knowing that within a few hours time I would be in Chicago. A place I had never been to before, and where I didn't know a soul.

I left Richmond, Virginia on early Friday morning, August 14th, with one goal in mind: have fun in the windy city. I was going simply to go; to see the sights, and see for myself what this famous Chicago deep-dish pizza was all about. I was in for a wonderful weekend!

Aside from the plane ride (I hate planes), it was a pretty decent trip. After a layover in Detroit (which I used to log some Minecraft time), I was in Chicago by about 11AM. I hailed a taxi and within the hour I was at my destination. A nice apartment in the sleepy suburb of Elmwood Park; I had found this house on AirBnB. A single room rented out in a small apartment. It was affordable, and offered everything I needed. It was only an hour bus ride from the city and served as a great home base. The best part of it was my gracious host, Halyna. She wasn't the best emailer, but once I met her in person, none of that mattered. I couldn't have asked for a kinder, and more accommodating host. Halyna was happy to share her story with me: she was a resident of Ukraine and a citizen while the Soviet Union was still a thing. She decided to immigrate to the United States with her children and husband. Her daughter, she informed me, is an adventurer like myself. She's currently pursuing an education in a school in Australia. Her son, she informed me, is a bit lazier (also like myself), but was doing well. She shared with me stories about how she got started in America. She worked her way up to management where she is now. She said, "life is hard, but it is good." And she still loves her home country. And when she visits she even refers to it by "let's go home," which is funny because when leaving Ukraine to come back to America she says again, "let's go home." To me this is a perfect example of what Naruto meant (in an over the top, dragged out filler arch) by saying, "home is where the heart is."

Once I got to Chicago, I took it easy for a couple of hours. I wanted to make sure I was well rested and prepared to adventure through the city. Around 5PM I left for 360 Chicago (previously known as Hancock Tower). I discovered that it’s important to always carry cash and quarters on one’s person, as buses don’t provide change.

The view from 360 Chicago was awesome.

Unfortunately, they don’t allow tripods unless you call and ask ahead of time, but not all was lost for my photographic endeavors. I met a German fellow named Maui Pascal who had a handy bit of camera gear; it was a camera stabilizer that fastened onto a window via suction cups. I made small talk with him and he let me try it out, to get a few shots.

I’m glad he did – look at this beautiful city!

After marveling for a little while longer, I got hungry… so I went to get some Chicago style deep-dish pizza at Giordano’s! It started raining on the way over there, and after meeting some fellow rain victims huddling under an awning, made the mad dash for my destination. I got there and was surprised to find out there would be an hour and a half wait. I didn’t have any other plans for the night, so I placed my order and decided to wait. To pass the time, I introduced myself to a pair of nice girls who were travelers as well.

After some friendly conversation, and trading of Facebook invites, my pizza was ready at last. And it was well worth the wait.

I can normally eat a whole large pizza by myself, but I could hardly finish three slices of this delicious behemoth before packing it up for lunch the next day.

The rain had slowed down and I boarded the bus to take me home.

Day 2 – Saturday, August 15, 2015

The next day I left around noon for the Museum of Science and Industry, the largest science museum in the western hemisphere. I had originally planned on visiting two other museums that day, but I just couldn’t force myself to leave this one – it was amazing! I spent about 3 hours there, and probably didn’t see even half of it. What I did see was super cool though – they had a tornado generator, a tesla coil, a bunch of full size aircraft, an Apollo 11 training module, submarine, robots, and much more! I’ll definitely have to go there again if I ever get the chance.

After I managed to finally pull myself away from the science museum (they were closing), I went and scouted out Adler Planetarium, which I would be visiting the next day. I’m glad I did, because the view from the peninsula on which it stood was phenomenal. I got a beautiful shot of Chicago’s skyline.

I also got to meet a really cool lady, fellow photographer, named Lynda, and her husband. Lynda gave me plenty of tips about the city, and informed me that there would be fireworks that evening, as well as an astronomer’s club public viewing of the Perseid meteor shower. We shared some photographer stories and took some pictures, and then I went with her and her husband to the astronomer club meeting and got to look through a telescope and see Saturn!

We exchanged websites, and parted ways. I left for Buckingham Fountain to see the fireworks launched from Navy Pier.

I got to Buckingham Fountain, and unfortunately, the fountain wasn’t running. It was supposed to, but for some reason wasn’t and a lot of people left unhappy. I still got to see the fireworks from there, though, which was nice. I also scouted out the area, as this would be where I’d spend most of my time the next day.

I then boarded the bus for home.

Day 3 – Sunday, August 16, 2015

On Sunday I got up early because I had a lot to pack into my last full day in Chicago. I wanted to (and did) check out the Art Institute of Chicago, the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium, and Millennium Park to see Idina Menzel. I had also wanted to visit the famous Skydeck, but, with an hour and a half wait, I couldn’t fit it into my schedule.

The Art Institute was really cool, and I got to see a lot of famous artworks. I didn’t have a ton of time to peruse, if I wanted to get to all my destinations, but the time I was there was well spent.